Hurricane season is upon us here in the gulf region and lasts through the end of November. At Victoria ER 24 Hour Emergency Center, we want to remind you to try to be prepared as possible for when an emergency strikes. We know every situation is different, so the needs of your family can be assessed as such too. Our staff wants you to know we’re keeping you in mind as we all begin to prepare for another season of possible natural disasters. Below we have provided a list of important things to consider in the event of a hurricane or tropical storm.
- Select a common meeting place for all family members to gather as well as have an evacuation plan for your pets.
- Prep an emergency kit and have a supply of water, flashlights, batteries, candles, lighters, & canned goods in case your city is placed under a mandatory evacuation order.
- Keep important documents such as legal papers, marriage licenses, birth certificates and insurance policies in a safety deposit box or stored somewhere they’re kept away from harmful elements.
- Keep your car’s gas tank filled, charge your mobile devices, test all generators, and keep extra fuel in case of power outages.
- Secure the exterior of your home by boarding up windows & move patio furniture and potted plants indoors.
It’s important to look ahead and gather supplies early and gradually as last minute preparations can leave your family without basic necessities. Remember that the potential threat of disaster will always stir panic within most people so assessing the situation and your family’s needs ahead of time will make for a smoother evacuation process if necessary. Some additional items you may need to carry with you during this time are:
- Radio for emergency updates
- Manual can opener
- Basic tools such as a hammer and screwdriver
- Matches and a lighter in waterproof containers
- Paper, pencils, pens
- A map of the area you will be in
Our staff wants to gently remind you to take all emergency warnings and mandatory evacuations seriously because nature can be unpredictable. Don’t get caught out in the storm, Victoria ER wants residents within the community to remain safe and healthy during this hurricane season and throughout times of natural disasters.
Victoria ER is available day or night for every emergency you or a loved one may be going through. Experience the concierge care and no wait time for every visit. Please call us at 361-214-3813 with any questions regarding our protocols, or with questions regarding your medical safety.